Brother International Europe Limited operates the website www.webconferencing.brother.co.uk (this “Website”). We are committed to respecting and protecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), Brother International Europe Limited, a limited company registered in England and Wales under company number 00664172 and whose registered office is at Brother House, 1 Tame Street, Audenshaw, Manchester, M34 5JE (“Brother”), is the data controller in respect of information collected through or in connection with this Website.
In addition, this Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers, affiliates or other third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that Brother does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to any such websites.
Information we collect
Brother may collect and process data about you such as:
- Information that you may provide when filling in forms on, or otherwise submitting or making available information to, this Website. This includes for example any:
(a) information provided when registering as a user of this Website or for any services made available via the Website; and
(b) information provided in any documents, materials, communication or other content uploaded, transmitted, shared, distributed or otherwise made available by you in connection with your use of any services provided via the Website (including without limitation any video and/or sound recordings of any web conferences hosted or attended by you via the Website from time to time).
- If you contact us for any reason, Brother may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Information that may be captured via any error logging and reporting tool that captures error report data and, at your option, sends this data to Brother in order for Brother to be informed of any software errors or problems that may occur during your use of the Website or the services provided on it.
- Details of your visits to our Website, the activities you engage in when using the services made available via the Website and the resources that you access on or via the Website.
How we use your information
Brother may use information held about you in the following ways:
- To present content and information on the Website in the most suitable manner for you and the equipment and devices from which you view the Website.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from Brother or which Brother feels may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To provide you with any services that you may request from Brother from time to time (whether paid for or not), to communicate with you in relation to those services and to process your order if you choose to purchase a subscription for services.
- To manage and administer your account and contact you as may from time to time be necessary in connection with your use of the Website and/or the services made available on it, including, but not limited to, notifying you about changes to our Website services and the basis on which these are provided.
In respect of your use of the web conferencing services provided via the Website, any personal information that you submit or make available in connection with a conference in which you participate is visible and available to all persons participating in that conference. The personal information you share, display, submit, upload or transmit during a conference may be read, collected, used, recorded, distributed and/or re-transmitted by other participants of the conference for any purpose. Brother is not responsible for any use of your personal information by another participant in a conference or any other third party.
In certain circumstances Brother may provide third parties with aggregate information about this Website's users. This may include information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
Where we store your data
Generally, Brother will store and process your personal data within the European Economic Area. However, the data that Brother collects from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a country outside the European Economic Area, the laws of which may not provide the same level of protection for your data, although we will seek to ensure it receives an equivalent level of protection. By submitting your personal data and using the Website, you agree and consent to this transfer, storing or processing.
Although Brother will endeavour to protect your personal data once Brother receives it, transmission of information to us or from us via the internet is not completely secure and your sending of information to us online is at your own risk. For the avoidance of doubt, Brother accepts no liability for any loss or damage you may suffer as a result of such transmission.
Where Brother has given you, or where you have chosen, a password to access certain parts of the Website or your registered user account, you should not share this password with others.
Updating your information
Where you submit information on the Website, you should try to ensure such information is accurate, and let us know if such information changes so that we are not holding any inaccurate information about you. If you have registered an account for the Website, you can review and update your personal information yourself at any time by logging in to your account.
Disclosure of your information
Brother may disclose your personal information to any member of its group of companies, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as such words are defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006. These group companies may be situated outside of the European Economic Area. Please see the “Where we store your data” section above for further information.
Brother may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- If Brother sells any business or assets, in which case Brother may disclose your personal data to the prospective buyer of such business or assets;
- If Brother or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by Brother about you and its other customers will be one of the transferred assets;
- If Brother sub-contracts any services which require the processing of your data, for example, where a third party is engaged: (i) to provide and maintain any IT equipment used to store and access your personal information; (ii) to host and maintain this Website; or (iii) otherwise in connection with the provision of certain services provided to you on or via this Website; and
The web conferencing services available on the Website include a remote access and file transfer function. By using these functions, you may remotely transfer files from your own computer or other device ("Device"), to a Device of another conference participant, as well as access and transfer files from another participant’s Device to your own Device. Consequently, you may permit other participants in the conference to access and transfer from your Device files held on your Device by clicking on the [share document] and/or [share desktop] button when prompted. If you do not wish to allow other participants to remotely access your Device and any data stored on your Device, do not click on the [share document] button or [share desktop] button when prompted.
Brother is not responsible for the use of any remote access functions by you or any conference participant, nor for any data or information accessed, submitted or transmitted through such remote access functions. You are solely responsible for your use of the remote access functions and any resulting use of the data accessed by you. It is your responsibility to ensure that only the conference participants who have permission to access files and data on your Device are granted such access. It is also your responsibility to ensure that conference participants to whom you grant such access are made aware of the way in which such data and files can be used and any restrictions on the use or transmission of such data and files. You must only access and/or use data from another conference participant’s Device to the extent such conference participant has given you their consent.
Brother will inform you (when collecting your data) if Brother intends to use your data for marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such use when Brother collects your data. You can also tell Brother should you change your mind about this at a later date by contacting Brother at [insert email address].
Should you request access to any information held about you Brother will process such request in accordance with the Act as such may be amended, varied or supplemented from time to time and we may charge a fee for this.
Further information about protection of personal data and the Data Protection Act
To find out more about protecting your personal data and the meaning of terms such as data controller and personal data please visit the Information Commissioner’s Office website.